Thursday, December 26, 2013

Toy Store

 Having sorted out some glitches associated with the recent purchase of a laundry machine, Karen and I betook ourselves to a Toy World to see what might be found there.  This was a treat for me, you understand, Karen not being into this sort of thing, herself.  The first thing to catch my eye was the little item above: 1:144 scale aircraft.  I thought it might be a Yak3 or Yak9, but the packaging didn't actually say. Research indicates it's a MiG3  - but that's fine.  It's a Soviet Union WW2 aircraft.  For some reason I have found that 1:144 scale aircraft 'go' better with 1:76 scale ground vehicles and figures than do 1:72 scale. Haven't a clue why.  At any rate, although there were other aircraft of this manufacture there, there were no more MiG3 types.  Five bucks: that'll do... ...


After a bit more strolling around, I found some Army Men stuff stapled or riveted in clear bags to the card thingies you see pictured.  Now it has to be said that this constitutes misleading packaging.  Had I believed it, I would not have bought two packs at $10 the time.  The figures pictured are a reasonable sampling, but the vehicles... not even close.

I've been looking around for equipment for my Jono's World armies.  These packs seemed to fill the bill.  Here's some of the interesting stuff you do get...


To begin with, a very handy looking artillery piece.  True, the gun bit was upside down, and a wee bit of trimming had to be performed to make the gun shields sit right, but the outcome is a righteous piece of ordnance - very like the good old British 25pr.  Bear in mind I bought 2 packs, so the equipments are being pictured in pairs in this posting.


It is my habit to draw small round circles in the ends of the barrels to give them at least the appearance of tubing...
 There was also a tank: recognizable as a Centurion.  You will observe that I misliked the gun barrels enough to replace them with plastic tubing (I have a considerable store of cotton buds, for which I have to thank a pair of chronically itchy ears...).   The originals just looked horrible.  It was easy enough to bore a hole down the stump towards the mantlet, shove in a sliver of toothpick and glue the cotton bud over all.  It gives the look of the early 20pr gun armed Centurion.
 Of course these tanks are under scale compared with most of my Army Men guys, although in these packs the Army Men aren't as large as many that I have, these ones being pretty consistently a whisker over 40mm overall in height.  So they look pretty compatible with the tanks.  Below the two Centurions face a PzIV I bought in Hokitika just over a year ago.  Of course, in Jono's World, these aren't Centurions, but something a little lighter.   Incidentally, I not worrying overmuch about the varying sizes of my Army Men soldiery, being anything from close to 40mm to nearly 60mm tall.  Mixed up and painted, the differences are barely noticeable.
Now this fellow below is interesting.  What to do with it?  It was about the size of the jeeps, and I did think of keeping it as is as some kind of dune- or swamp-buggy technical or scout car.  It just doesn't look quite right though.
The alternative plan is to remove the larger weapon and use that as the basis for infantry water-cooled MMG cognate to the Vickers machine gun.  Then replace this with a circular turret using the mudguard-mounted weapon as the mantlet and gun.  This vehicle would then become a light armoured/scout car.  
Each pack came with a pair of jeeps pretty close to the scale of the figures, and quite a lot smaller than some examples I had from a different manufacture that were too over scale even to be called 'Beeps' (Big Jeeps) or 'Heeps' (Huge Jeeps) or even 'Wgheeps' (Whopping great humongous jeeps).  It seems they ought to have had drivers with them, though, judging by the suggestive looking spikes (since removed) on the driving seats...  Meanwhile the 'BgBgeeps' (Bally great Brobdignagianly gargantuan jeeps) will become light trucks or artillery tractors... or something...

Along with some assorted impedimenta such as tents and weapons emplacements and oil drums and such - and the oddest-looking (and useless) helicoptery thing I have ever seen - came this interesting item:  an assault boat. Taken in total, then, the packs contained quite a selection of useful and handy stuff.
Before closing this, here is a pic of the artillery device I have ... erm ... devised for my Jono's World project. The original you will see pictured in the Jono's world Archives, but I have since modified the design slightly, and printed it on clear plastic (overhead transparency film).  I will explain its function and use in a future posting...
The original device in use.  The building in the left was the target, but the fall of shot was 'over' and to the left, with fatal results for some Raesharn soldiery sheltering in the village square...
Oh, and meanwhile, I've finished painting the kitchen... :-)

12 comments:

  1. Ion

    Quite a score.. I'm always inspecting the contents of packets like this .. inspiration for new HotT armies is never far away..

    Merry Xmas

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes: there is that, too! Actually, next time I think I might be fielding an Airfix Roman army that I built up maybe 20 years ago, but has hardly ever seen action...

      Happy New Year -
      Ion

      Delete
  2. You are dead right about the 1/144 scale Ion. I was surly tempted by the Academy/Minicraft 1/144 aircraft at toyworld myself for the same price less 20%.

    I think I have a few items that you can use for your project and I will have a look around in the next few days.

    Model on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers, mate. Less 20%, eh. was that a post Christmas deal or something? I would have liked to have seen more of the MiG3 chappies there, but perhaps I could have expanded my horizons more to the Tchagai/Harad project and looked more closely at the other aircraft. At that there were some very interesting looking toys more in the 1:72 scale (I'm not talking the model kits here) that might have gone with the Jono's world project as well. But I remembered the four 'Spitfire' models I got some time ago...

    Until I figure out a good way of mounting these chappies, I'll probably hold off on buying more aircraft. I do have some perspex stands kicking around somewhere...

    Those 'few items' you mention intrigue me strangely...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ion
    Picked up a Mig3 for the Soviet WW2 HotT army.. a nice flyer.

    Also an Me262.. I've been thinking about a 'Weird WW2' army.. this would be a good flyer..

    Thanks for the 'heads up'

    R

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-) O...K... I see where this might be going. Let's see: Pz IV for beast, Tiger I for behemoth; Me109 (Erich Hartmann) for flying hero; Ju87 (Hans Rudel) for 'god,' four 'shooters', a couple of Panthers as 'knights', perhaps, and a hidden MG bunker for a 'lurker.' M'mmm... dunno.

    Where did you get the MiG? I could use another one or two for my Soviet fighter squadron!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got it from Marshlands Toy World.. THINK they had another there, not sure...

    In the meantime, hole drilled, planes mounted, just need HotT bases.
    I was thinking more of:
    Tiger 1 - behemoth
    Motorcycle troops - riders
    Infantry on pterodactyls - more flyers
    Zombies as hordes
    Infantry = shooters

    But I like your thinking there too...

    WEIRD is the operative word.. LOl
    R

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder if the Me 262 might be more appropriate as an aerial hero? After all this new technology was meant to be the saviour of the Reich???

    He! He!
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, and I rather think I have one of those. I don't have a Fieseler Storch, but do have something very like it. Perhaps it could be the Desert Fox himself, making a personal appearance ... 'god'? I dare say if they had known the true nature of the Ark of the Covenant (having hoodwinked Indiana Jones into revealing its whereabouts), they might have been able to harness its energy to ... erm ... some sort of effect...

      One good go quietly nuts just thinking about this sort of thing!
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
    2. Ark of the Covenant? That's sounds like a HotT element. Nick and I were talking about that tonight .... maybe a Cleric?

      He! He!
      R

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Cheers, Gowan. I hope your own projects are coming along. Incidentally, I have been thinking that the stuff I'm building for the Harad/Tchagai project could almost as well apply to some Latin American nation of c.1975-80 - probably the Pan-Andean People's Republic. I can see the People's Republic having several motives to destabilize the remote inland border regions of Oronegro...

      Delete